Senior Leadership Development Programme for Healthcare Scientists. Expressions of interest requested
The Chief Scientific Officer forEngland and The Academy for Healthcare Science (AHCS) are inviting Expressions of Interest for a very Senior Leadership development programme for Healthcare Scientists.
This funded part-time leadership programme is for 12 months, starting in April 2024.
Different academic providers at renowned national and international institutions have been identified who can contribute to the programme and, while some programme elements are essential for the whole cohort, there is also the opportunity to tailor to the individual needs of participants after an initial needs analysis and discussion.
The overall programme will consist of coaching and participation in masterclasses as well as participating in an academic programme of senior leadership development to help to develop your knowledge, skills and ability to be a Very Senior Leader within the scientific and broaderworkforce and healthcare system.
Expressions of interest are requested by 1st December 2023, with further information and application details to then follow. Interviews will take place at the end of January/early February 2024.
The time commitment is envisaged to require small blocks of in-person attendance (including 7-10 days for an international component), some online sessions and self-study. Although no fees will be charged for participation in the programme, support of your organisation is essential to meet requirements for time, travel and attendance for the programme.
Eligibility criteria for entry to the programme are as follows:
- Senior leadership experience, with evidence of:
- Leadership of complex and diverse teams
- A detailed understanding of breadth of healthcare science specialities
- Successful interactions with healthcare science leaders in specific healthcare science specialities
- Successful interactions with other clinical specialities, multi-professional leaders and executive level very senior managers
- Working as a systems leader within the or associated health organisations at a local/regional/national level
- Impact as a leader in helping build a strong culture of equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Leadership of system-wide innovation which has evidence at its core and has improved patient outcomes within your organisation and the broader healthcare environment.
- To have a national or international profile in your scientific field, with published work and demonstrable impact
- PhD preferred, alternatively to have completed a doctoral level academic course with a recognised and significant assessed research component. Applicants who have completed should be able to demonstrate progression since completion, such as publications or senior-level involvement within significant projects.
- Working within the and associated bodies in health and social care in England
- To receive endorsement and to have support of the employing organisation (to be confirmed at the application phase).
We ask you to express your interest now by emailing by 1st December 2023. We will then ensure you receive further information about the programme and the application process by mid-December, with applications to be received by 10th January 2024. The initial stage will include a written application. Shortlisted candidates will then be invited to attend a day of in-person interviews and activities, including assessment of leadership strengths, to explore and determine together if this leadership programme is right for you at this time. The interview day will take place end of January/early February 2024 – exact date to be confirmed.