HEE/NIHR Internship, Pre-Doctoral and Post-Doctoral Bridging Programmes in the East Midlands – Application deadline 30 June 2023 (5pm)
Dear Aspiring Clinical Academics,
The Universities of Lincoln and Nottingham are pleased to launch the 2023/24 Health Education England/NIHR Clinical Scholars Programmes these programmes are part of the HEE/NIHR Integrated Clinical Academic (ICA) Training Programme for non-medical healthcare professionals.
Are you a Nurse, Midwife, Allied Health Professional, Paramedics, Health Visitor, Healthcare Scientist, Chiropractor, Pharmacy Professional, Optometrist, Osteopath, Optician, Wider Dental Team Member, Operating Department Practitioner, Non-Medical Public Health Specialty Trainee, Practitioner Psychologist, Clinical Psychologist or Social Care Workers, registered in the East Midlands?
Typically suitable for registered professionals without postgraduate qualifications or formal training in research. This award supports clinicians to go on to apply for a research Master’s programme or NIHR Pre-Doctoral Clinical Academic Fellowship (PCAF).
The Internship Programme will be available for up to 8 East Midland places to join the programme in 2023/24.
Successful applicants to the HEE/NIHR Internship Programme will have:
- The Clinical Scholar’s ability to compete successfully for the next stage of the Clinical Academic Pathway, such as the Masters in Research (MRes) or NIHR PCAF award
- A structured educational programme
- 48 days duration; start date November 2023. Besides a small number of mandatory education days and Action Learning Sets, these days can be taken flexibly over the course of 9 months in agreement with the Clinical Scholar’s organisation and academic mentor
- Participation in facilitated Action Learning Sets
If you would like to talk to someone to discuss this opportunity please contact: Prof Ros Kane (email@example.com) or Dr Ian McGonagle (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Pre-Doctoral Bridging Programme
Have you completed a Masters or equivalent postgraduate qualification and are looking to further develop a clinical academic career?
Health Education England (HEE)/NIHR are excited to offer up to 5 East Midland places to join the Pre-Doctoral Bridging Programme in 2023/24.
Successful applicants to the HEE Pre-Doctoral Bridging Programme will have:
- Protected funded time (48 days over 11 months) to develop a PhD proposal and develop clinical academic networks necessary to supporting a clinical academic career.
- An individualised training and development plan based on identified needs.
- A HEE approved research Mentor to support proposal development, facilitate high quality learning opportunities and access to research professionals.
- An identified clinical mentor in the chosen topic area to lend profession specific expertise.
- Participation in facilitated Action Learning Sets
If you would like to talk to someone to discuss this opportunity please contact: Professor Kate Radford (email@example.com) or Dr Claire Diver (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Post-Doctoral Bridging Programme
The Post-Doctoral Bridging Programme develops individuals along the HEE/NIHR ICA career pathway to increase their capacity and capability to deliver innovative research projects to improve practice and patient outcomes. The Post-Doctoral Bridging Programme is designed to support post-doctoral individuals in applying for either the NIHR/HEE ICA Clinical Lectureship scheme or an equivalent award from elsewhere that is relevant for their clinical academic career development.
Applicants are required to develop an individual, bespoke programme of activities to support their learning needs but will include:
- Associate member of the University of Nottingham
- Protected funded time over 12 months to develop a Clinical Lectureship application
- Review of application by experts and feedback
- Mock interview for Clinical Lectureship with experts, and feedback
- A HEE approved mentor
- Facilitated Action Learning Sets with other people at a similar level
- Access to successful candidates from other years
If you would like to talk to someone to discuss this opportunity please contact: Prof Pip Logan (email@example.com ) or Dr Joseph Manning (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you are interested in applying for this prestigious and competitive programme please complete an application form and email to the scheme administrator email@example.com
More information, Application Forms and Guidance Notes can be found at: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/clinicalscholar/index.aspx
Application Deadline: 5pm 30th June 2023
Interviews: 12th/ 13th September 2023 for Internship and Pre-Doctoral, 25th September 2023 for Post-Doctoral applications.
Start Date: Mid November 2023
Compulsory Training Dates taking place at the University Lincoln for Internships:
8th, 15th and 29th November 2023, 13th December 2023 and 10th and 24th January 2024. These and future dates will be confirmed on your first training day.
Compulsory Training Dates taking place at the University Nottingham for Pre-Doctoral Bridging Programme: 21st November 2023, Systematic Review Training Oct/Nov (TBC) 2023 and 6th December 2023. These and future dates will be confirmed on your first training day.