About The Register
The AHCS Accredited Register is currently comprised of four parts:
- Higher Specialist Scientist ( ) Register: a register of individuals working towards Consultant Clinical Scientist status through training or equivalence. Individuals undertake in-depth, highly complex roles, similar to a medical consultant role, requiring clinical judgement, scientific expertise, leadership and dealing with uncertainty in direct patient care. Training is undertaken through a Higher Specialist Scientist Training ( ) programme at doctorate level.
- Healthcare Science Practitioner Register: a register for Healthcare Science Practitioners not covered by statutory regulation i.e. those who are not Clinical Scientists, Biomedical Scientists or Hearing Aid Dispensers. These Practitioners apply technology in the delivery and reporting of quality assured tests, investigations and interventions. The education and training route is through an approved Practitioner Training Programme ( ) comprising an undergraduate degree with clinical placement.
In addition, the Genetic Counsellor Registration Board (GCRB) which until July 2019 held a Accredited Register. This register has now ceased to function and the AHCS has assumed overall responsibility for Genetic Counsellor registration, including the handling of complaints about registrants. The details of currently registered Genetic Counsellors can be found by Searching the Academy Register.Practitioner Register has recently incorporated Genetic Counsellors, specialised healthcare professionals who have been trained in the science of human genetics and psychosocial counselling. These staff have met the standards set by the
However, prospective registrants should continue to apply through the GCRB website as the Board will continue to be responsible for assessing applications using its existing processes.
- Medical Illustrator Register: a register for individuals previously registered with the Committee for the Accreditation of Medical Illustration Practitioners ( ) and those who work as clinical photographers, video producers, medical artists and medical graphic designers. These staff provide a multi-skilled support service to those involved in patient care, teaching, education and research in the Health Sciences.
Applicants to the register who have not undertaken one of the listed approved programmes can apply directly to the Institute of Medical Illustrators and submit the as an alternative qualification. Certificate of Competence
- Clinical Physiologist Register: a register for practising Clinical Physiologists, who have completed a recognised Clinical Physiology education programme (see the FAQs and a list of approved programmes – other courses will be added to the approved list shortly).
- SCST members (new and existing) currently on the ahcsregister.). All current members of SCST need to email their name, address, current work address, @gmail.com registrant number and SCST number to ahcsregister.@gmail.com register can utilise a streamlined application process to join the AHCS clinical physiology register, if they apply through the SCST Registrar (
- membership@. The Membership Secretary will check that the AVS status is valid and securely transfer contact details to enable an account to be set up. SVT members will then receive details from the Academy about how to complete the registration process. .org.uk members (Society for Vascular Technology of Great Britain and Ireland) with current Accredited Vascular Scientist status (AVS) are eligible to join the Academy for Healthcare Science Clinical Physiology register. Members who wish to join the register should first contact the Membership Secretary of the SVT via email:
Additional parts of the register are expected to be developed in the near future.
The Academy also holds Directories, which sit within its regulatory framework and shares the administrative functions and oversight.