Members of the Healthcare Science workforce perform a range of different roles depending on their qualifications, experience, and level of specialisation. Although this workforce comprises approximately 5% of the healthcare workforce in the UK, their work underpins 80% of all diagnoses as well as therapeutic interventions such as radiotherapy.
Examples of the type of work they undertake include:
• Advising, diagnosing, interpreting, and treating patients.
• Advising health and social care professionals in the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
• Researching the science, technology, and practice used in healthcare to innovate and improve services.
• Designing, building, and operating technology for diagnosing and treating patients.
• Ensuring the safety and reliability of tests and equipment used in healthcare.